Thursday, January 24, 2008

India win in Perth and first night of arranged marriage

Now if you ,the nameless unfortunate stumbler on to this blog, have had the even greater misfortune of going through the not so considerable archive of posts, you would know that I expertly navigate around anything remotely interesting , current, useful or intelligent.
No sir, I had rather u wallowing in my self deprecating humor than have u aware of this fsmawful mess of the world we live in. If you are about to say that you are already sufficiently aware etc.. save your breath , as I am only sane because I have tightly shut myself away from seeing the mediocrity we dwell in and have become one of the giants of mediocrity myself. Uh-oh I am again about to get into a state of consciousness. Time to close the shop.
Yeah, so sweeping under the carpet all the insightful and terrifically boring talk of my existence , I am breaking the tradition of letting you live in a fantasy land on my blog to mention a current event. No , Don't worry, I would never touch anything disturbing by a 10-foot pole. This is about the Indian win in Perth. Yes there are some things in this world which yet let us think how not f***ed up everything is, which ,believe me, it actually is.
So 4th day of the test match and we were letting them Aussies have it. Sharma bowled a sensational spell. I can bet punter would have sucked his thumb and called his mom later. O.k., I am being mean , he would have just cried quietly in the bathroom , on floor curled in a fuoetal position. So on this remarkable day,we get everybody out , including gilly bowled round the legs by sehwag and are about to finish off a big 140+ win. But then , Johnson and Clark start slogging. Johnson hits 4s repeatedly in a packed leg side field and clark pulls everything outrageously out of reach of groping fielders. In no time they have added 70 runs. Each of Indian players is shocked and angry and continues to bowl tripes at them, hoping they would hole out . Its hugely idiotic. Just bowl line and length damnit! they are tailenders for fsm's sake. By that time I really got annoyed and pissed off. It was just so plain stupid. The victory came soon after but the bitter taste that mediocrity, even though momentary, leaves, stayed for long. I just could not enjoy it as I thought I would.
And that's when I had this glimpse of how the first night of arranged marriage would be or have been for us unfortunate guys and girls who still go through it. I need you to be with me at this point. Consider that you are getting married to a girl/boy you have not really known more than couple of months or weeks. You go through the tortuous meeting of parents , horoscopes , uncomfortable questions. You bat well to deflect the relative of the bride/groom , you try to bowl your mother in law early else she deciphers you and starts hating you before its too late for her to do anything about it. And then you endure the endless rituals on the day of marriage which test your patience and with consummate skill you try to keep the irritation on those relatives from hell to your self. Why? because at the end of it is your prize , You , the 20 something virgin get to have that thing which us Indians love and are hypocritical about , sex.
So you wait and finally its over, you dream of walking to the stage and accepting the trophy of man of the match . But no not yet, apparently your friends are yet to leave and so are the devils(relatives) and imps(their kids) around your better half. Does it sound familiar? just skip two paragraphs above and you would know. Anyway, finally after cursing everyone to their eventual painful death , you get to the best part. Its called sex and its terribly awkward for two naked strangers who have never done anything like it before. Both of you get over with it, hide your face in the darkness and are relieved that it was over,fast.

At 4 in the morning , lying on the bed , seeing Harsha go all ga-ga and rub it into aussies by asking each and every Aussie player he could get his hands on : " I know this must be a new experience , loosing it at home .... " and yet pretending to be the most unbiased commentator ever, I felt just that. Big Relief that it was over. where was the joy?
It came after an hour, I said to myself "wow, even though it sucked at the end , over all it was worth it. We did it. Take that!"
a low 'Yes!' to myself was my celebration. Right then, I could imagine hundreds of newly weds lying on the bed at that very same moment and saying exactly the same thing to themselves.
I know we would be less jittery as we get used to winning more and more as would the specimens of my example as they get it more and more. The future is not that bad if it involves only the above.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice one ....

bluesaphire said...

Awesome the way you mixed the two things victory of india and victory of ..... were really awesome....

Amerish said...

You finished it quickly....

Anyways, nice combo......Bro!!

"Winning" matters ;) wherever it is.

Maverick's Musings said...

While a win against the aussies is a one of affair, i hope its doesnt land up being the same against ur better half !!

Also u always try to win over as many opponents as possible; doesnt happen the same way during marriage isnt it?? Only a lucky few achieve the feat.

Anonymous said...

What if Jasmeet Malhotra had actually married Charles Brown and become his fifth wife (ref: Namaste London), but thereafter refused to have sex with him?

Wouldn't that situation have been similar here to Anil Kumble agreeing to the 'catching agreement' and letting the Aussies cheat their way to a record-equalling 16 wins? And when finally the time comes to turn around and lie flat at Perth so that the Aussies could finish the formalities, turn around and give them a spanking of a lifetime.

I wish Jazz had actually waited until Charlie was about to mount her on their wedding night before changing her mind. I'm sure that would've been a bigger blow..

-Anand!

P.S.: I also derived great pleasure in reading the Aussies say "We had to lose at some stage..", "It would have been nice to win one more, or ten more..", "Oh! Those grapes were sour..", etc. :D

viju said...

At last what matters is the word "Yes". This shows a sense of accomplishment which inherit feeling of achievement and satisfaction. We all r very much fanaticized abt life.. thx to celluloid but in real life victory doesn’t comes easily either in field or in bed... so this 'Yes' really matters :)

viju said...

Hey

I have tagged you for a meme. Participate its fun...check it here

VG said...

Nice analogy..
Surely Indians winning in Perth is once in a lifetime and thats what it makes it as special as the first night of a traditional Indian couple.

Powered By Blogger